You can’t have too many chicken recipes up your sleeve. This is a very tasty and quick recipe for your family dinner. I got the idea of combining the chicken with canellini beans from Nigella’s recipe in Nigella Express and we all loved it. Nigella always uses one or two ingredients that I’d never have handy in my cabinet and that’s too bad. The good thing, though, is that it’s ok to just omit the fancy ingredients. The dish will still come out fine. In this recipe, the ingredients I’d have to do without were celery salt and pancetta cubes. Here’s how I made it, instead.
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil (or saute minced garlic in hot olive oil)
- 1/2 cup ham or bacon cubed
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dry rosemary or thyme
- 1 pound chicken thigh or breast fillets, into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
How to make: Heat the oil and saute the spring onions, ham or bacon bits, and rosemary. Add the chicken and salt and saute for a few more minutes. Add the wine and let it come to boil. Then, add the tomatoes, sugar, and bay leaves. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Add the drained cannellini beans and when they are heated through, take the pot off the fire and serve.