I just love the recipes that work well all year round. I first posted this recipe back in November (2009). This time I made it in the heart of summer and fed three hungry kids (mine and a guest). I knew my kids like this dish but was very pleased to see our guest going for seconds. Two thumbs up to the fish soup!
- 1 ounce salt pork, finely chopped (1/4 cup) — I had to use bacon bits instead
- 1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle clam juice (8 ounces) — I didn’t have clam juice, still good
- 1 1/2 cups milk — with no clam juice in hand, I had to use more milk
- pepper, salt
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 12 ounces skinned and boned haddock, cut into chunks — I used tilapia fillets from Lidl
How to make: Heat the oil in a pot and saute the meat bits (pork or bacon for me today). Add the chopped onion and cook or a few more minutes. Stir in the flour and then the clam juice (only I didn’t have any today). Add the milk, potatoes chunks, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook uncovered until the potatoes are soft –about 20 minutes. Add the fish and cook for another 5 minutes or until the fish is done.