At dinner time today my daughter asked: “Mommy, can you help me with my goal? My goal is to eat healthy, starting with making better choices at my school lunch.” How can you deny her? After a long and very indulgent holiday we are happily returning to healthier diets this week: “spanakorizo”, broccoli soup, lima beans, green beans… You name it and you’ll find it on this week’s menu. I’m putting the pot on fire, bringing up some of mydinnertoday’s favorite family recipes and start cooking.
- 1/4 cup olive oil for the pan
- 1 onion finely chopped or 5-6 shallots cut in pieces
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped (or 1-2 frozen cubes)
- 1 approx. 1/2 kilo bag frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- pepper, oregano (optional) , fresh or dry mint (optional)
- juice of one lemon
How to make: In a big, deep pan, saute the onion at low heat for about 5 minutes. Saute the garlic for a minute or two. Add the spinach and saute until soft, another 5 minutes. Add the (rinsed) rice and saute for couple more minutes. Add salt, pepper, oregano, fresh or dry mint (optionally) if you have it else dry. Add enough water to boil the rice. Normally, 1 cup water for 1/2 cup rice but read the package instructions of the rice you use. Add lemon juice to taste, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is soft. While it’s cooking, keep an eye to be sure there’s enough liquid for cooking. Serve hot or cold. It’s equally yummy.